Forum Software

Off topic discussion of just about anything. No spam, advertising or politics to be posted or discussed in this forum.
art

Forum Software

Post by art » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I was an old school vB guy back in the 3.x days and when 4.x arrived and the company sold was ejected into IPB and XenForo. I like working with phpBB but hesitant to invest the time and energy using it to build a hopefully popular site.

Have most people who can afford to go paid done so and left the free open source to the young and adventurous?

Rock Lava

Re: Forum Software

Post by Rock Lava » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Yes, but many still use free open software power for their communities.

Keep in mind the popularity of community forums thinned out when social media became popular. There were many communities based on open topics that became extinct for obvious reasons but the niche targeted communities that were built with decent “supported” software survived. Sure they may not be as heavily used like they we’re in 1998 but still serve a purpose.

phpBB and MyBB are great ways to go if your just testing the waters or your finances aren’t there for a copy of IPB or XenForo. We relaunched this site in phpBB because of it’s great support and it fits the everyBB.com niche.

96v

Post by 96v » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:40 am

I work a lot of web design service for small business and that group definitely goes the free open source route to save money but then complain when the cost and effort of converting to a paid software is realized.

I always recommend to clients to start with great software and you’ll save time, money and energy going forward.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 am

phpBB is the only way to go if you need free/open source forum software. MyBB dropped the ball IMO.

Ashley

Post by Ashley » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm

I like Xenforo, but they are really expensive. I actually went with Proboards. Just as professional, nice looking and the best part, it's free!

96v

Post by 96v » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 am

Ashley wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:05 pm
I like Xenforo, but they are really expensive. I actually went with Proboards. Just as professional, nice looking and the best part, it's free!

Agree paid scripts are not worth it unless you have a big popular community to support it or a great niche.

I remember Proboards, are the ads a problem with members?